Old October 22nd 03, 02:52 AM
Mike Behrent

The nagajuban can be any color that contrasts pleasantly with the kimono.
White is the most common, but pinks and pale blues aren't unheard of. As for
the obi sash, the one I made for my wife is modernized. I made it out of
lighter material, narrower than traditional and with a velcro fastener. So I
cheated. My wife isn't about to learn to tie a traditional obi G
Mike in Wisconsin

"julia" wrote in message
(rp) wrote in news:36854f79.0310210301.7e82d6f0
@posting.google.com:

does anybody here have an online pattern? or has anybody read " The
folkwear book of ethnic clothing : easy ways to sew & embellish
fabulous garments from around the world / Mary S. Parker. " it's in a
nearby library although still quite far away so I was just wondering
if a kimono pattern can be found there as well. Also I've seen in the
pictures that the girls are wearing something underneath usually of a
contrasting colour...does anybody know what that garment looks like?
is it just another kimono? or a sash like thing?
thanks for your help

The links at the Costumer's Manifesto
(
http://www.costumes.org/ethnic/1PAGE...inks.htm#Japan) have
tons of information about kimonos. What a woman wears underneath is
called a "nagajuban", which is usually white and looks like a robe. The
"sash" worn at the waist is called an "obi" and a traditional one is very
full, padded and (from having tried one on once) very heavy and
uncomfortable. See the Kimono FAQ at http://www.asahi-jc.com/kimofaq.htm
for lots of nice pictures. The Reconstructing History site has a basic
kimono 'how-to':
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com...e/Jap123s.html. You might
find other patterns from the Costumes.org links too. And just curious,
but who or what is "Oren"?

-j