Old October 21st 03, 05:38 PM
julia

(rp) wrote in news:36854f79.0310210301.7e82d6f0
@posting.google.com:

does anybody here have an online pattern? or has anybody read " The
folkwear book of ethnic clothing : easy ways to sew & embellish
fabulous garments from around the world / Mary S. Parker. " it's in a
nearby library although still quite far away so I was just wondering
if a kimono pattern can be found there as well. Also I've seen in the
pictures that the girls are wearing something underneath usually of a
contrasting colour...does anybody know what that garment looks like?
is it just another kimono? or a sash like thing?
thanks for your help

The links at the Costumer's Manifesto
(
http://www.costumes.org/ethnic/1PAGE...inks.htm#Japan) have
tons of information about kimonos. What a woman wears underneath is
called a "nagajuban", which is usually white and looks like a robe. The
"sash" worn at the waist is called an "obi" and a traditional one is very
full, padded and (from having tried one on once) very heavy and
uncomfortable. See the Kimono FAQ at http://www.asahi-jc.com/kimofaq.htm
for lots of nice pictures. The Reconstructing History site has a basic
kimono 'how-to':
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com...e/Jap123s.html. You might
find other patterns from the Costumes.org links too. And just curious,
but who or what is "Oren"?

-j