Old October 21st 09, 06:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

Default Attn: Mirjam ....

Anyway, when I brought it down from the top of the cupboard it was
hard to
unfold because the fibers seemed to be sticking to one another. *I washed
it, then re-washed it with some baking soda in the water. *It's still
sticking to itself.

Have you ever heard of this? *Do you have any idea how I can restore the
shawl. *It's really lovely and I would love to be able to use it, again..

Thanks,
Murielle

Hallo Murielle
Do you have any idea what the threads are made of ?
are they wool ?man made threads ?
Why did you use baking Soda ????

If you can snip of a piece of thread [ if it has a tail ?] do it take
the thread over a sink , and light it with a match look at the result
and smell it , this may tell you what the threads are !

if you can`t do this test take a magnifying glass and look at 1-2
places where the shawl seems stuck together , and try to unstick it
delicately with your fingers ,, if you feel you can do it , lay the
shawl , as is on a flat place and delicately enter your fingers than
your hand between the folded layers stopping with every hint of
problem .

please tell me what happened ,,,,, let`s do it step after step ..

Baking Soda only took out oils if there were any , tangled /stuck
together threads happen more when they are manmade or mohairs...When
they were kept in a place that was a bit warm and /or humid and if
they were under something heavy weight.

was it folded in a nylon bag ?
mirjam