Old August 15th 03, 05:37 PM
Deirdre S.

It is possible to 'seal' the colored surface of some beads by putting
them in a plastic bag, spraying Clear Gloss Krylon acrylic sealer into
the bag and shaking them up. Just be careful not to saturate them, or
they'll all stick together. Shake from time to time until they dry to
prevent that.

I've used that for galvanized metallic-surfaced beads, where the
surface tends to flake off without such treatment, with some success.
But I suspect this only slows down the process rather than eliminating
surface-wear altogether.

At least the Charlene's sampler will let you 'road test' some purples
and see how they hold up in daily use.

Deirdre

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:45:16 -0400, "angela"
wrote:

You mean when I say "purple beads" you all can't just read my mind and know
exactly what I'm talking about??? LOL. Sorry to be so vague. The crackle
beads, as I said, are from Michael's and I didn't expect much from them to
begin with. (I spent a couple hundred dollars at Michael's during my first
week of this Bead Extravaganza I've gotten myself into! I think I've
graduated from there though....)

I got two different sizes of seed beads from Beadazzled (6o and 11o). Both
are Czech glass and I just now went to look again at the labels and guess
what it says: "purple dyed." Hmmmm. The last batch of purple beads I bought
are the ones with the color on the inside. I misspoke about where I got them
though -- not from Joann's, but from Jane's Fiber and Beads. (I always want
to call Jane "Joann" -- I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate that one bit.)
Anyway. The inventory list I got from her says these purple beads are
Japanese and even though some of her beads are marked with an asterisk
meaning they are "not permanent," these are not so marked.

The ones I got from Jane's I used in my four-year-old's bracelet that he
wears every single day. I bought them August 2 and they are faded already. I
used both of the batches I got from Beadazzled in my sister's birthday
bracelets (remember these?
http://thehalsteds.com/angelfish/sbrace/0011sb.jpg) -- her birthday was July
30 and when I saw her yesterday, they were faded. I think she has worn them
a lot between then and now, but still -- it's only been two weeks!

I think I might try the purple "beginner's kit" from Charlene's Beads
(mentioned here by someone else) and see how they hold up. All other advice
is also welcome and appreciated! Thanks!
____________________________
angelfish handcrafted baubles
http://thehalsteds.com/angelfish

"Christina Peterson" wrote ...
I'm not sure what you mean about the different beads.

Those crackle beads have a bad reputation. And personally, they remind me
so much of the cheap plastic ones they used to make for kids They don't
appeal to me. Because of that and the fact that they ARE cracked, I have
have always avoided them.

The ones from Bedazzled. What materials are they, what finishes do they
have, and in how long a period did they fade?

The ones with the color in the middle from Joann's. Those colors inside

are
usually paint and don't last, especially if they get wet. (Like when I
leave my necklace on in the shower).

I believe some colors of pink, purple and red require some gold to have a
brilliant color that doesn't fade, so those beads are more expensive than
other colors.

Tell us more about what you're looking for.

"angela" wrote ...
I am having terrible luck with purple beads and I'm sure someone here

can
tell me why. I bought purple crackle beads at Michael's and the coating
peeled off. Okay, I got them from Michael's so I wasn't exactly shocked.
Then I got two different sizes of purple seed beads from Beadazzled and

it
looks more like they faded, but they may have actually peeled too. Then

got some from Joanne's -- I don't know what they're called but they're

the
kind where the color is in the middle (if that makes any sense). I sort

of
expected the color to fall apart on me and it did. All of the beads were
used on bracelets and deteriorated after heavy wear (my four-year-old

son
wears his bracelet 24 hours a day). Is there such a thing as a purple

bead
that keeps its color?