Old February 3rd 19, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.knots
[email protected]

Default Help me identify 'Iron Knot'. A 'self releasing knot'.

I climb coconut trees and we wonder how to tie a knot we can then loosen ourselves....

alas after failing trying to reinvent the wheel, we tried tying a simple Single Sheet Bend with 1/2" climbing rope under tension (full rack of coconuts about 180lb), and was all we ever needed! Make sure to have as short of a tail end as will hold the knot.

For buckets: 550 paracord and Voila!

It took playing around with rope types/widths to find which one works best for each application. It's not "The Iron Knot" but it works.