Old July 7th 09, 05:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
stan

Default skutt 1227

Hi, all.

I recently aquired a skutt 1227, but it is 3-phase 208 at 31 Amps. For
those who don't know, 3-phase is 208 volt times 3, and the skutt 1227
has 3 sections, so each section could draw 31 amps.

Naturally, I am in a residential area, so I only have access to single-
phase 230 volt at perhaps 50 amps. Fortunately, I am not interested in
getting the whole thing running. If I could get even one section
running would be fine.

I think that I can remove two sections and run just one section on
single-phase 230. 230v is only 11% more voltage than 208, so it should
have a good chance of working, right?
I figure that I will start with high and see if the coils get too hot
too quickly. If that seems good, I can try low and see what it temp it
gets up to, then medium and last high.

Has anyone tried such an experiment?
Any advice for a noob? *grin*
Thanks in advance.