Old November 18th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

Default card tricks quilt

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 07:25:23 -0600, claudia wrote
(in article
):

Ok, I know, my sewing machine is in the ICU so I won't be sewing
anything anytime soon, but hey a girl can dream!

Now that Lucia's flying geese quilt is all done bar the quilting (and
trust me, that is going to be very basic, no frills, no fancy stuff)
once I get my machine back, I am contemplating my next project, also
for a daughter, in this case for Laura.

Laura is 14 and completely in the throes of adolescence as is expected
at her age. My level-headed, down to earth, head-on-her-shoulders,
sensible eldest daughter has become this all fuzzy, superficial,
giggly, head in the clouds, looks-are-all-important giddy girl. No,
this is not some miraculous overnight development! This has been
happening for quite some time now: long enough for me to acquire a
significant stash of fashion fabrics (lipsticks, glasses, high heels,
dresses, bikinis, undies, you name it). Laura likes the card tricks
pattern. HAs always liked it. So, my creativity button has been pushed
and I figure I might as well make her a card tricks quilt using these
fabrics.

I have searched google for pictures of this quilt and all the pictures
I come up with are repeating blocks; 2 or 3 or 4 fabrics plus a
background fabric, but repeating the same fabrics in each block in all
blocks of the quilt.

I was wondering if it would look weird to have different blocks. Maybe
same background in each but having the cards made of different fabric
in each block. Maybe using two different fabrics in each block (that
means that each block would have two the same cards), but these would
vary throughout the quilt. I'm not sure whether this ramble makes
sense to any of you, but I know exactly what I mean!

And while I'm on the subject, would a card tricks pattern be suitable
for a scrap quilt? For instance, I have a zillion 1930's pieces (well
maybe not quite that many) and I'd love to use these in a quilt, using
something somewhat simple. So I could use these in combination with
matching solids? What do you think?

Oh and by the way, just a note: it is NOT a good idea to clean up/muck
out the sewing room. Now that all my fabrics are all displayed in an
orderly manner, and all clearly visible and accessible, I suddenly
have all these inspirations and ideas bombarding me! I should have
left the place a major mess!!!!!

Claudia

I think it might be fun if each card trick block had the same background
fabric but different fabrics in each block. A scrappy card trick might look
really cute!

Maureen