Old September 7th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elizabeth in Clayton,NC

Default New space for quilting

Howdy folks!

It has been awhile since I posted to the group... years even? I sure
have missed you, but just had too much on my plate to participate.

To be honest, a lot has happened since my last lurk... and
unfortunately, quilting was not part of the happenings.

The short of it is:
1. My mom was diagnosed with MS and had to retire on disability in
Louisiana.
2. I got laid off--- but found my dream job at the end of that...
3. Katrina
4. Sold Mom's house - bought her a condo in NC and moved her up here
to be closer to me a year ago
5. My 21 year old quilt inspector (the purry kind) had a major stroke
and we had to say goodbye
6. Mom went downhill.
7. Mom moved into an assisted living community, at age 63.
8. Sold the condo, moved all of mom's stuff to my garage.

So, since I am moving family heirlooms and furnishings into my house,
my hubby decided I needed to get a quilting room of my own. I had been
regulated to the corner of the bonus room on a beat up old dining room
table. We donated the table to a thrift store for pet adoptions... and
hubby bought me an Elna for our wedding anniversary....

Great bookcase my mom used to store her fabric is now in the 2nd
Bedroom (now called Elizabeth's Quilting Room), and I am in the
process of picking out a cabinet for the machine. To go from having a
clunky Singer on a tiny RV dining table to a new Elna on a selected by
me cabinet is really exciting.

So, my question for you is... do you have any suggestions on brands or
places to buy? I have 3 criteria and looked at one yesterday that met
them... Before I commit, I thought I would ask you all.

I am looking for
1. A drop leaf on the back to hold the quilt after it passes the
machine.
2. A lift system
3. Cabinet designed so i am centered in front of needle when seated...
not the center of the machine.

It is great to see familiar names here... even if you don't remember
me!

i look forward to more postings.

Elizabeth in Clayton, NC