Old July 15th 03, 12:27 PM
julia

"Atom1" wrote in
:

FWIW-
I just wanted to interject a caution. Babies put everything in their
mouths and those pretty little buttons are just perfect to choke on.
That's why you don't see them on baby clothes, besides buttons are
just uncomfortable if you're laying on them.

The choking reason may be true, but I've seen infant outfits with
buttons, but usually only with the buttons in the back (or in the case of
overalls, on the tab at the shoulder). There are some cases where you
need a wider opening or easy access, but in these cases, I've usually
seen snaps. I'm thinking the opening in a neckline (for easy on/off of
those little soft heads) and along the inside of the leg for access to
the diaper without removing the whole outfit. I've never seen a sleeper
with buttons, only snaps or zippers. I loved the outfits with snaps
and/or zippers for my DD when she was a baby and now as a toddler, I
think twice about anything complicated as she'd much rather go nekked
every chance she gets and if I had to do up a whole bunch of buttons
she'd be foaming at the mouth by the time I'm done. I think a row of
buttons up the back of a girl's special party dress is sweet, but
personally I wouldn't want buttons doing up everything for everyday use.
Have you seen the Kwik Sew "Sewing for Babies" book? I have the one for
toddlers and it is an excellent reference/pattern book that covers all
the high-use basic clothes. I know it details altering patterns for
putting in snaps, so maybe it's something that would be of use for you.
-j