Old July 3rd 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Default Moth help!

Mary Fisher wrote:

I just don't have that kind of life ... I wore it when we visited them and
then it was forgotten about.

Mea culpa.

Mary

Whaddya mean, you don't have that kind of life? USE your pretties,
don't be like those old folk who considered everything "too nice to use"
I have a shawl on the back of my favorite tv watching chair, and if
there is a slight draft I just reach back and pull it round my
shoulders. I have a bunch more of which I take one practically
everywhere, whether I am going to church or a restaurant or wherever -
so much easier to slip on and off than fighting my way into a cardigan.

On the same line, I inherited a bunch of embroidered pillowcases from my
mother and grandmother. Guess what? They are all in the linen closet
and get used in rotation. Likewise, when our daughter was 17 and our
son 20, I decided we were going to use the hand-embroidered and/or lace
table linens every day, not just Sundays, and enjoy them. So what if
they fall apart eventually? They were OUR wedding presents, made for us
with love by various female relatives. I know that neither my daughter
nor my daughter in law will ever iron them, so I will enjoy them while I
have them. We also use the good silver cutlery everyday, in fact the
only thing still saved for Sundays is the antique bone china and that is
because dh, after a lifetime of drawing plans, has some arthritis in his
fingers and does not trust himself not to drop it. I am running a home
here, not curating a museum.

I reiterate. USE your "good stuff".

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.