Old October 18th 05, 09:32 PM
Kate Dicey

Default Estate sale: score!

Nann Hilyard wrote:

I went to an estate sale in Kenosha, WI, last Friday. It's always
interesting to speculate what people had been like, judging from their
wordly goods.

I bypassed the electric organ, the swivel rocker (probably her TV-watching
chair), and the old double-oven Kelvinator range in the kitchen (and the
even older Monarch range in the basement--one of those huge, heavy old
appliances that never get hauled away). There was a big box of old dress
patterns in the basement that had been in the basement too long. "Ah! She
sewed!" I thought and went back upstairs, my fabric-finder radar tuned.

Upstairs in the bedrooms: jars of buttons ($4 per jar, too pricey for me),
ziploc bags of wooden spools (I already have a basket full), hem tape (I
have a drawer full). A great collection of hats. The fabric was arrayed
in milk crates. The sign said $1 per piece. Lots of doubleknit, pieces of
fake fur. Not much all-cotton, but I found 7 pieces: $7.

Back downstairs I saw an interesting little three-drawer chest. The top
drawer was false--the top lifted up to reveal a tray with pegs for thread
spools and little compartments for pins, etc. Label says "Rockford Eagle
Furnitue Company." I don't need any more furniture but I couldn't
resist -- only $25! Made of maple and it does not need to be refinished.

Nann

P.S. That $7 fabric purchase turned out to be 18 yards, including 3-1/2
yards of a Liberty lawn print!

Excellent!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!