Old March 27th 10, 07:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Default Question

Chilla wrote:
William Black wrote:
Peter W. Rowe wrote:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 01:34:34 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
" wrote:

Hi,
Could anyone tell me what woods and finishes are safe to use for
wooden jewelry?
Virtually any of the normally used and available decorative woods would be safe
for jewelry,

Stay away from yew though.

It's very pretty but deadly poison.

A lot of woods will cause a nasty reaction in particle form (sawdust),
however if you wear a filter mask things will be fine.

Yew is no worse than any other if you take precautions.

If we're talking about Taxus baccata, I get a rash just handling the
stuff, and I do use it to make longbows out of, but I wear latex gloves.

I've seen it used for knife handles and didn't like the idea.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.