Old June 22nd 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

Default felting help please! plus a great book

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:50:16 -0000, myswendy
wrote:

Hi all,
I am making 2 hats for my SIL and my niece--they are wild and wooly
(literally!) LOL! The patterns are in this incredibly ORIGINAL
knitting book: http://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Punk-Ro.../dp/0811857441

Anyway, since they didn't want wool near their faces, I am using a
lovely bulky yarn that is 25% wool and 75% acrylic. My problem is with
the mohawk (yes, you read that correctly! LOL!). Is there ANY way to
reproduce the effect with this yarn? Or do I have to spring for
matching yarn in wool for this part of the project?

One more question---I have gone down one size since I will not be
felting the body of the hat either and thus, it will not be shrinking.
Can anyone give me some sort of shrinkage percentage so I know how
long to cut the fringe when I make it (if I must use 100% wool for
it). Thanks guys!

Wendy, the knitting fool in CT

Hi Wendy - I read your other post about the yarn not acting like the
pattern yarn. I think if it were me (I?) I would knit the hat in wool
and line it with a soft thin fabric like silk. Or I'd knit a facing
out of something really soft and then fold it to the inside and tack
it down.

What a hat!

Alison