Old October 15th 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

Default Paper piecing help

Alice I have that tin too :-) it became a UFO after DS2 decided to oil my
sewing machine with the blocks still *under* the foot with half a bottle of
sewing machine oil (yes the oil came out after 6 weeks of experimentation -
copious amounts of dish detergent did the trick!)

first you cut apart the blocks between all the lines leaving the trim lines
untouched.

then you paper piece the blocks, then trim on the trim lines and sew the
blocks together on the seam lines. then remove the paper - that way you have
all the blocks exactly right :-)
the size of the binding is one of taste - I personally like to see 1/4" of
binding on the front and would cut my binding at 2 1/4 inch and fold it
double - I also use my smaller projects to practice my binding on ;-)

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)
In The Netherlands
Take out: _I love the colour_ to reply.
www.geocities.com/jessamy_thompson
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
I'm trying a paper piecing project for the first time. I won a "Tin Box
Sampler Series" of gorgeous crackle charm fabrics as a door prize. There are
very minimal directions with it to make nine Courthouse Steps blocks. I
figured out the cutting, and construction, but now I have a couple
questions. On the paper foundation pieces there are TRIM lines and SEAM
lines. It seems that I would trim the blocks with the paper still attached
so I can follow the lines. Do I also stitch the blocks together with the
paper still on? Do I trim and then remove the paper? Also, since this
project ends up being 12" X 12" what size binding do I use....narrower than
for a standard sized quilt? Thanks for any help.

Alice in PA