Old May 19th 05, 09:05 PM

interesting, i agree with some. some not:

"And yet, the traditional craft areas have dried up."

well a lot of art & craft has been dropped by schools so the exposure
us older folk might have had isn't occuring anymore. ~ and since we
saw it *a lot* growing up, now today we don't, but that doesn't mean
it's dried up - just not openly visible anymore. ~ no teachers taking
us to see it or showing us anymore.

"Craft has lost its way and become precious; self-consciousness is one
of its great cankers."

it's precious now that it IS handmade. never before has the
industrialized world been SO much made of strictly manufactured stuff!
so for someone to step forward & perform his craft - he'll stand out &
may look cankerous to some. ~ like that guy on a street corner playing
saxaphone. he sure stands out! and he's not usually very good! but
you can't paint the music profession on such obvious people.

see ya

steve

Xtra News wrote:
What do you all think of this article?? Be really interested to

hear, do
you like his work. I love it, but it sure is controversial. I

listened to
him give a talk a couple months ago. A very interesting man.
Anyway here is the article
http://nzpotters.com/FeatureArticles/GraysonPerry.cfm

Cheers
Annemarie