Old January 19th 04, 04:44 AM
nzl*

picture a ladder, two long side rails, lots of cross ways rungs.
the ladder stitch goes up one side to first rung, across, up one rung,
across, up one rung, across.
the side rails are the two pieces of fabric along the seam fold.
the stitches hide within that seam fold.
unless i learned it all wrong all those years ago.
heres a pix...
http://www.classicstitches.com/know_..._to_cat=Stitch
hope this helps.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Dr. Quilter" wrote...
| what is a ladder stitch? what you describe sounds to me like mitered
| borders, except for the ladder stitch part and the hand work comment...
|
| Muggywort wrote:
|
| I'm glad you've gotten good explanations. I used attic windows in a
| theater quilt I'm making for a friend of mine. I appliqued something
| representing shows he has been in, and then used a maroon vertical
| window piece and a black horizontal piece. Looks like a stage and is
| SO cool. I love that quilt, and one day I will finish it.
|
| BTW, I read somewhere another way to do them...after stitching the
| attic pieces to the side and bottom, fold one attic piece at a 45
| degree angle over the other and then do a ladder stitch to avoid
| setting in the angle. That's what I usually do, but it does make for
| extra hand work.
|
| Muggy
|

| On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:17:00 -0500, wrote:
|

| I've been quilting for about a year and want to do my 1st king size
quilt.
| It's a little ambitious for me, but I love the attic windows block.
I've