Old May 14th 11, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Default Newsgroup Access Question

On 5/13/11 8:23 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Fri, 13 May 2011 18:03:30 -0400, "Ellice K."
wrote:

On 5/13/11 6:53 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

On Fri, 13 May 2011 01:42:00 -0400, Tia Mary
wrote:

Hi Guys,
In getting ready to move back to Lizard Land, DH has gotten me a
laptop to use. I currently use Netscape 7.2 to access the newsgroups
and some German company supplies the newsgroups to Netscape. We pay the
German company less than $20/year. I don';t mind paying the money but
my problem is now how to go about getting all this stuff from this
computer to the laptop. DH said he couldn't find anyway to access
different versions of Netscape using the laptop. THIS is the type of
computer stuff I am totally in the dark about!!
So -- could someone either help me find a way to download Netscape
7.2 to my laptop OR recommend some other way -- besides Google -- to
access newsgroups? Please, Please, Please -- I don't want to lose y'all
but I also don;t want to use Google!!! HELP!!!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

You are making it complicated - go to
http://www.eternal-september.org

and follow the directions. It's free, it is acclaimed as a newsreader
and streets ahead of google groups.

Eons ago I used Netscape but have long since abandoned that, this is
even easier.

Ditto to what Sheena has said. Eternal-september works very well. I use it
for access to the newsgroups, and actually have it as the link via my e-mail
program. Just give it a try.

Also, WRT browsers, you should be able to download Firefox from Mozilla,
which is free, and works on PC platforms, as well as Mac platforms. It's
pretty robust, and they update it regularly. I cannot imagine what your DH
did that would prevent your laptop from being able to install a reasonable
web browser.

Good luck.

Ellice

Probably the person in the woodpile is aol - worst thing that ever
happened !

LOL - too true. And their world hq are just a few miles from my house.
They finally sold half their campus to Raytheon - after the sudden layoff of
3000 people a few years ago. OTOH, we know a bunch of very young AOL

millionaires - who took stock options and sold out at the peak.

Ellice