Old February 21st 17, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

I have gridded linen (28 & 32 ct), though, a number of times. That
video, to me, seems a bit cumbersome way to do it. Find the center of
your fabric vertically and horizontally by folding it in half and start
there, gridding outwards in blocks of ten. Check your pattern, too, to
see if your center lines are on a dark line or somewhere in the center
of a block...it might be easier to follow if you put your grid lines so
they match the dark lines of your pattern (ask me how I came up with
that trick! LOL).

If you want to see an example, check out our Firehouse angel project, an
rctn group effort after 9/11:
http://firehouse.heritageshoppe.com/historyA.html

--
Joan

Joan, thanks for suggesting the alternative way to grid...I think working from the center out (verse trying to do the outside edge first) might be an easier way to go.

Also, I want to ask you about Aida...I want to try some and see how it works out. To be honest I haven't used it since I was 10 years old and I'm pretty sure my home ec class gave me the cheapest possible fabric. How does one know cheap Aida from quality Aida? I have to order everything online so I don't have an option to see the fabric. Is there a price range or brand you can recommend?