Old January 7th 17, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default 2017, should we try to revive the group?

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 11:42:26 -0500, Nyssa

I usually knit socks to give away, they are well received
in our
climate! However, three years ago osteo turned up in my
left thumb and eventually had to have an op (they take out
the joint then secure the wrist joint to second thumb
joint with tendon) It's six weeks of sitting around in a
splint but an op well worth it, my left hand is
perfect now. However same thing is happening in the right
so in the near future I'll be in a splint for another six
weeks

I crocheted afghans for my kids when fuel bills reached a
peak a few years back so they could wrap those round their
legs instead of cranking up the thermostat - they liked
them and they were fun to do.

I belong to a knitting Guild and we also do a lot of
knitting for charity, warm hats, gloves, socks etc.

This current in-progress afghan will be a gift.

I've also finished a baby afghan this fall that had been
started by my deceased neighbor. She knitted a LOT looser
than I do, and it's obvious where she left off and I took
over. She had only done about four inches and had an error
in a previous row too. No doubt the error caused her to
put it aside to fix, then she never got a chance to get
back to it before illness took over. Another neighbor
has a great-grandchild on the way in the spring, so the
finished afghan will go to her granddaughter for the new
little one. Since the deceased neighbor lived right next
door to the expectant great-grandma and they were friends,
the afghan will have some connection to the family.

I think she'd be delighted to think you'd fixed it!

I've also knitted a new hat for that same great-grandma-
to-be this fall since she asked for one a bit longer than
the alpaca one I made for her last year.

So a LOT of my knitting goes to others too.

Mine really has to go to others, I don't have anymore room !

I agree about cuddling up in afghans to save on heat in
the cold weather. I currently am doing that while at the
computer. Another afghan knitted from that inherited
stash of yarn. I've still got enough of that inherited
stash for two more afghans and a shawl and sweater. Yep,
that lady was a stash hoarder for sure. At least it didn't
go to waste!

Nyssa
At River's End

I am lucky that I know a friends mother who knits little teddies for
children in stressful situations, people such as firemen take them and
hand them out to smaller children to comfort them when theres a fire
etc. So she can use anything up - on average she knits 200 of these
bears per year! So I do manage to keep my reserves to fairly limited
quantities