Old December 8th 09, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
vcardx[_2_]

Default Question (was: Comments on Dimensions Gold Pattern)

Thanks, Lucille and Dawne. Yes, I think the idea of making a b&w copy but
having to refer back to original happened years ago with my first
cross-stitch pattern (not Dimensions). I loved the way it turned out.
-vcardx

"Lucille" wrote in message

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
el...

"vcardx" wrote .
I've never done a Dimensions Gold pattern (or in fact any Dimensions
pattern - I've started out with small easy ones!), but have been eying
the
Beautiful Bird for a long time. Has anyone here ever done it, and is
Fred's description standard for Dimensions patterns overall (in
multi-colour, and very hard to read)?? I prefer working off a b&w
photocopy of chart, and highlight as I go.

In my experience Dimensions does print in multiple colours, so that you
will have, as Jim described, a blue X for one colour, a green X for
another. And they also use the same multiple colours for backstitch. On
fairly uncomplicated charts, this isn't really a problem, but with large
and complicated ones, where you have lots of backstitching crossing areas
with lots of colour changes, it can be difficult to keep track of what is
going on!.

Of course, as stitchers we vary considerably in our attitude to doing
exactly as the chart says, and that influences the level of frustration
when we can't make out what colour a stitch is supposed to be! Since I
am fairly confident about deciding on a colour when I can't make out the
chart, I only get frustrated for a little bit, and have enjoyed some
Dimensions kits. I have a huge Gold Collection kit of a European coffee
shop in my stash at the moment which promises to be very complicated,
with lots of similar colours.

If you make a black and white working copy, you will find yourself
referring to the original chart a great deal to sort things out.

Dawne

I too have used Dimensions Kits several times. Yes, sometimes they are
frustrating, but I don't really mind that and generally either refer to
the picture or just decide on my own whatever color I think will look best
in that spot.

The end result is generally pleasing so why get aggravated over one
stitch.

I even occasionally substitute something when using a perfect chart just
because I decide that I prefer another color or another stitch or put in
the backstitch, or take it out.

As Dawne said, attitude is an important thing when working with
Dimensions.

Lucille