Old December 4th 05, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default on topic for once: bernina stitch regulator

In article ,
DrQuilter wrote:

I stopped at the Viking area at my JoAnn's yesterday (the lovely ladies
remembered Sofia even if they hadn't seen her for a while, name and all,
of course she was wearing another hand knit sweater I made for her and
they had commented about the previous one so that helped). Back on
topic: I asked if Viking was planning on coming up with something
similar to the Bernina stitch regulator in the near future. They said
the bernina foot was not fine tuned yet, basically not ready for prime
time,

Well, I'd beg to differ. G I love the BSR and haven't had any problems
with it yet.

and that it doesn't compare to what you get with a big quilting
machine.

Umm...it's *not* a big quilting machine, though! A big quilting machine
doesn't do anything except quilt (I think), while the Bernina machines
will piece, embroider (if you buy the module, which I didn't), and do a
variety of other sewing tasks. Not everyone has space for the big
machines, either. As for whether it does a good job of quilting, the
Bernina with BSR is doing fine (that's an understatement G) for me.

They also said that I should be able to do FMQ just as well
with any machine after some music and a glass of wine... what do you
guys think?

I think they're saying the same thing I was told for several years as I
was trying desperately to get my FM stitches to be even. G No matter
how much I practiced, I just couldn't do it, though. YMMV. Different
strokes, as they say.

Obviously they didn't want to lose a client to the
competition but is there some truth to this?

I think that each dealer is going to try to maximize the strengths of
their machines and minimize the strengths of the competitors' machines,
as well as the shortcomings of their own machines. It's human nature.
It's also -- probably -- the "company line". G I'd say that each
person needs to do the same thing we've all recommended in the past: sit
down with a variety of machines and see which one(s) fit his/her needs
best. HTH.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1