Old February 28th 05, 10:39 AM
Katherine

Last week, I took advantage of all the snow in the hills for a day of
downhill skiing at one of California's nice ski areas resorts. It
was a beautiful day to ski and be seen.

However, I was the only person on the slopes wearing a traditional
wool ski sweater. Everybody else was wearing mass produced nylon ski
outfits (or snowboard grunge.) It is a sad loss of tradition and
style in an elegant sport.

Because I was not wearing a nylon shell, everybody assumed that I
must be cold. In fact, I was quite comfortable, while one of my
companions wearing a fancy, "Hi-Tec" nylon ski outfit was cold.
Actually many ski outfits are more designed to look hi-tec rather
than to be functional.

Now, everyone in RCTY knows that I love synthetic fibers on days when
the weather is really ugly. But, I freely admit that most nylon ski
suits are very ugly. I think that wearing a nylon ski suit on a nice
day says: a) that you either did not check the weather; or, b) that
you expect to fall head first into a snow bank.

So make sure that your skiers have nice wool ski sweaters. Wool
sweaters really are functional, and they can be beautiful.

I have noticed that, too, Aaron. I guess that the ski suits are easier to
get.

Katherine