Old June 25th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

Default Ir filtration system - any recommendations?

wrote in
:

On Jun 20, 5:56 pm, wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:20 am, Joe wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:06:04 -0500, Kris Krieger
wrote:

Chemo the Clown wrote in
.
com:

On Jun 18, 11:04 am, Kris Krieger wrote:
Hi, ALl, I was wondering whether anyone is familiar with air-
filtration/fume hood type systems suitble for a very small
in-home glassworking bench. Best would be somehting that coudl
be lifted onto
the
working surface during soldering/grinding (tho' I intend to do
most of my grinding outside, as I have a covered porch), then
lifted off and moved when I'm either scoring glass, or using
the table for some other purpose.

TIA!

- Kris

Hakko makes a good fume trap and if you have a way to vent the
air outside you could juririg a stove top exhaust. It's the
fumes from the flux that you need to vent away not from grinding
unless you are grinding dry.

Thanks, I'm looking up their info

((I'm trying to decide whether I should go for a fume hood or fume
collector, or whether I could get away with turning my Miele on
and wiring the nozzle to the desk (it has a HEPA filter and I can
get either super- filter bags, or HEPA bags for "double
filtering"), or whether I should get a window fan (pointed
outdoors) and rig up a duct. Or maybe just get a small folding
table and chair and do it outside before the day heats up too
much ))

- Kris

One thing to consider is that HEPA stands for (more or less) "High
Efficiency Particulate Air" filter. The key word here is
"particulate". Although they are very good at trapping very tiny
particles, there is a lot of non-particulate stuff (fumes) that are
released during soldering. HEPA won't do squat about those.

Like Chemo noted, you need a fume trap (does Hakko make one big
enough for sg work? I only know of their electronics stations). A
homemade fume hood using a stove hood and venting *outside* would
be much better than any filtration system. Just extend the sides of
the hood down further towards your bench.

Of course, there are advantages for good air filtering as well, but
ridding a shop of fumes ain't one of them.

Joe

HEPA filters are great for filtering out dust and such but are pretty
much useless for removing aerosolled flux fumes. This can be easily
demonstrated by placing a piece of cloth or paper towel over the
exhaust - which will expediently dampen from the condensed flux.

Use filters to remove dust. Exhaust to outside to remove noxious
fumes.

Below is a link to the Hakko fume extractor. It explains the filters
used. These are the same type of filters that are used in the
Honeywell 17250 HEPA air cleaner that I liked to in my earlier post.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...o-usa.com/hakk
o/hj3100.htm+hakko+fume+extractor&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4 &gl=us&client=firef
ox-a

Educational, esp. the link to the page explaining the filtration - that
explained a lot. This definitely is an item to keep in mind (and budget
for ).

Thanks!

- Kris