Old October 18th 03, 09:43 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Dr. Quilter" wrote:

question for you experience machine quilters. I bought a new sewing
machine, because the tension of my 1968's SINGER was beyond regulation.
Got a sewing machine table, but I was still having trouble, so Fer cut
the legs so it would be exactly at the same level as the old one. I am
still having trouble in the curves. He thinks that I apply different
pull to the sandwich when doing curves, either because I change the
speed to faster or because the side drag of the quilt is different. His
theory is that is why when I go around a pattern that has straight lines
and curves, in the curves you can see that the top thread is making
little hooks on the back, and the bobbin thread is almost on the surface
of the backing. It was a border, which might be related to it, since
there is not much to grab it from on the right side, in the SM's bed. I
had no problem quilting placemats. Any suggestions? Do I just need more
practice? The machine's straight stitch is wonderful, the walking foot
works great (although a little noisy), I like the way it binds bobbins,
how it is threaded automaticall, the needle down option, etc.

Are you using a walking foot or doing free motion quilting? I'm trying
to understand your description of "pulling" are you actually pulling on
the fabric to make the curve or are you really just guiding it with your
hands? If you actually have to pull, it may be that your quilt is
hanging off the table or otherwise dragging on something and this is the
problem. Those poor little feed dogs are just not strong enough to lift
a quilt off the side of the table and under the needle for quilting.

marcella