Old August 29th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Default What on earth do I do with this?

Too funny!

John, just keep in mind what you are going to use the clothing for. Not all
synthetics are always "bad" (ask some serious mountain climbers, they know
the value of various wools and synthetics) and not all natural fabrics are
always "good" (in cold weather, cotton is your enemy).

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo, who loves to wear cool cottons almost year-round.
And who now knows not to get cottons for her mountain-climbing son.

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"Patti" wrote in message
Marvellous!

I just have to tell a story he
On the old TV programme 'The Good Life' (which some of you might have
seen), Tom and Barbara were trying to do everything from 'the land' =
their garden.
They were given some fleeces, as I recall, and Barbara spun this into wool
yarn. This was then dyed with dye made from nettles - a very bright
green! She then wove this bright green wool yarn into cloth, and made Tom
a suit. It was quite well made; but, of course, looked hysterical. It
was somewhat of the texture of Harris tweed! They went to some function
(I've forgotten what) and Tom wore his hand made suit. He wore a cream
trench coat over it, but, when he had to remove the coat, the reactions of
those around were predictable gg
I'm sorry if I'm spoiling the story by bad telling, but it really was
very, very funny. So, John, no dyeing with nettles (or other garden weeds
perhaps?)!
.
In message . com, John
writes
I threatened to make a stretch leisure suit and my wife almost spit
her coffee across the breakfast table at me, and she couldn't stop
laughing. I am definitely NOT the leisure suit kind of guy. Everything
I own is 100 percent cotton or wool. The one exception is bicycle
clothing. Lycra is the only exception I make, and I have started to
make cotton and wool cycling clothes to eliminate that exception. I
have a long range goal of producing all of the clothes I wear. I am
going to learn to knit this winter, so I can make myself some Merino
wool socks and then I plan to get a cover-stitch machine after the
first of the year so that I can sew jersey t-shirts. I then can make
cotton boxer briefs and with the addition of pants and shirt and
jacket, I will have an outfit that is 100 percent custom made by me. I
will probably be so stressed out from the endeavor that they will have
to bury me in it. But, I will be a rather nattily dressed corpse.

John

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill