Old May 31st 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

Default Wine coolers

"Red Deer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone,
I've been invited to sell my pots at a wine festival in June. I make
stoneware pots but I wanted to make some wine cooler pots for this
event and I was wondering if stoneware will work as a wine cooler.
All my glazes are cone 6. If I just bisque them, will that work? I
want to at least put some glaze on maybe the bottom third of the pot.
Do I need to make the little saucer for it to sit on? Does anyone
know if stoneware wine coolers work if they are fired to cone 6?
Thanks,
Sandi

Stoneware does not absorb water. Wine-coolers cool because the water they
have lain in has been absorbed and then evaporates. The evaporation causes
the cooling.

In other words - earthenware - not stoneware - is the thing.

That means that you COULD glaze, but not at stoneware temperatures.

We had one such cooler that just had a little dish to set under it (if it
weeps). That dish could always be glazed, I guess.

Marianne