Old September 8th 03, 12:46 PM
Jake Loddington

In article , Wendy Cyrenne
writes
Hello all. I have an old Cress Electric kiln which I purchased a year ago.
At first I had no problem getting to Cone 6 (which is the maximum
recommended for that kiln). Now it seems to take forever to get to that
temperature.

I read in a book that the elements could be wearing out. Is that possible?
I thought either electrical elements worked or they didn't. I was thinking
of replacing the elements, but would like to hear whether anyone out there
has had this problem and how did you fix it.

Thanks.

Wendy

In my experience, elements *do* get tired. I replace mine about once
every eighteen months, and this, together with a good spray of ITC 100,
certainly gives the kiln a shot in the arm.

Actually another reason for replacing the element (singular: a long
single one) is that it begins to sag, and I don't like big loops of
Kanthal dangling into the kiln.

I've never heard of joining broken elements: how do you do it?

Regards

Jake Loddington POULTON-LE-FYLDE, Lancs. UK