Old April 26th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C0nnie

Default granulation

mbstevens wrote: I
think that if the gold granules were extremely small, the effect would
show too much silver crawling up their sides. So you are trading a
certain kind of refinement for color contrast.

That is very interesting. I don't mind using larger granules. I used
too-small granules on my last project. They are so small that the
overall effect is small-scale. The design is visible but not
impressive, yet the work was laborious and painstaking. The spherical
and individual nature of each granule is lost when they are as tiny as
I used.

I will try granulation with 22 K gold on Argentium or fine silver
sheet some day soon. I just need to justify the expenditure on the
gold. Perhaps more fine silver practice.

Peter,
That is all very interesting. Perhaps some day I will use some of
these materials.