Old April 26th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Default granulation

Subject: granulation
From: Abrasha
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:28:22 -0700

mbstevens wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 04:53:01 +0000, C0nnie wrote:

Has anyone seen granulation with contrasting metals, for example gold
on silver? Or Argentium on gold? Or some other contrast?

http://tinyurl.com/yvs6td
...high caret gold onto sterling is quite easy because the silver melts at
a much lower temperature. No silver "solder"
such as "hard solder" is used. Still, I don't think you could call it a
fusion type of operation. I surmise what is actually going on is brazing.

There you go again! This is NOT brazing!

A couple of definitions of what brazing is:

1: A group of welding processes that produces coalescence of materials
by heating them to the brazing temperature in the presence of a filler
metal having a liquidus above (840°F) 450°C and below the solidus of the
base metal. The filler metal is distributed between the closely fitted
faying surfaces of the joint by capillary action.
http://www.copper.org/applications/p...cal_terms.html

2: A process that is used to bond similar or dissimilar materials by
melting a filler metal or alloy that is placed between the components
being joined. Brazes are filler metals or alloys that melt at
temperatures above 450 o C.
rntfoil.com/rnt-foils/glossary.html

The emphasis is on FILLER metals!

I have asked you many times to stop dispensing "knowledge" of things you
know nothing or little of. Once again, please stop.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com