Old April 25th 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

Default granulation

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 04:53:01 +0000, C0nnie wrote:

Has anyone seen granulation with contrasting metals, for example gold
on silver? Or Argentium on gold? Or some other contrast?

http://tinyurl.com/yvs6td
....high caret gold onto sterling is quite easy because the silver melts at
a much lower temperature. No silver "solder"
such as "hard solder" is used. Still, I don't think you could call it a
fusion type of operation. I surmise what is actually going on is brazing.

You just coat everything with a light coat of Handy flux and use a
very bushy flame over coals to get the sterling to just go shimmery. I
think that if the gold granules were extremely small, the effect would
show too much silver crawling up their sides. So you are trading a
certain kind of refinement for color contrast.