Old September 8th 04, 12:42 AM
Kristen

like I said, my roommate is also trying this pattern. She has very
very little practice crocheting, so it's interesting, LOL. She's not
a size 8 as the pattern states, so I figured giving her a larger hook
would help make it a smidge larger (and also every beginner I've ever
worked with tends to crochet very tightly, so I figured a larger hook
would help)...well...no..lol...she is the most loose crocheter I think
I have ever seen. I'm tempted to tell her to pull it out and start
over with a smaller hook, but we worked for over an hour on it, and I
know that would be frustrating...but it'll also be frustrating for her
to finish it and it fall straight off her shoulders!

I actually had to end up adding a decreasing row to the top of the
poncho pattern after I'd finished because I wanted it to be up on my
shoulders more. I just did the same pattern as the increase row, just
opposite (one round of sc, sc 2 st tog, rpt). The next one I make I
think I will start with 60 st in the round, and do two rows of inc, so
that way the neck hole is the right size to begin with. I do
recommend doing a border row around the top after you are finished.
It hides any foundation row mistakes and gives it a nice finished
look.

~Kristen

t (JudyTurpin) wrote in message ...
I tried out the pattern with some leftover microspun. It isn't too hard for me
(a beginner at crochet) but I did run out of the microspun with a mini poncho
completed - so I either need to get more or try with something else. Actually
while I don't like working with that yarn as it tends to split easily, I have
to admit it feels good and has a nice drape to it. The pattern is quite
forgiving as it can easily be ripped back when I find a mistake.

I am going to attempt this one as well. My daughter wants one, so why not
try. I had printed this from the same site. There are others on the same
site that are pretty cute for little ones.
"Kristen" wrote in message
This is the one my roommate and I are making:
http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com...poshponcho.php

Both the patterns we considered making are new patterns, not vintage ones.
The popular ponchos are mostly the more open, just for fashion, not for
warmth type garments. They're also shorter than a lot of the vintage
patterns I found. This one works up pretty quick; after you get past the
band at the top, it goes very fast...last night was slow crocheting

because
I had to keep stopping to help my roommate with her crocheting...at least
that's going better than the knitting lesson I tried to give last winter!

~Kristen

"Angela" wrote in message
Heya everyone,

I lurk in this group a lot :-). Just wanted to ask about the crocheted
ponchos which are supposedly in fashion right now - what do they look

like?
Any pictures that I could look at?

Thanks,
Angela