Old August 30th 04, 04:36 PM
Carl West

Ted Frater wrote:

Carl West wrote:

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:

One reader at one point reported using vinegar and a bit of salt. I've not tried
that, but he/she said it seemed to work... Once you've used it to dissolve
soldering flux and oxides, you probably should not, when you're done with the
jewelry, use the waste pickle in your salad dressing...

I'm working on a sword scabbard and the fittings are of what
Metalliferous calls 'Bronze' (90 Cu/10 Zn).

The salt and vinegar got it very clean over night. There's a slight
etched feeling to the surface.

My problem: My fittings are now pink. I assume I'm looking at a layer of
copper where the zinc has been leached away. Either by the heat or the
pickle.

Whatever the reason, is there a slick, chemical way to get back to the
yellow base metal? Or do I have to get mechanical on this thing?

Yes there is, Ive only just found the recepie, apologies for the delay.
its dangerous and you need to know what your doing.
Its called "Bright dip" the formula is in the following proportions
70 parts of Nitric acid concentrated
200 parts of Sulphuric acid concentrated
140 parts of water
1/2 teaspoon sodium chloride ie householdd salt.

IF you feel up to
handling these chemicals
and are able to get hold of them,
let us know here and ill outline how you mix them and then use them.
you use this at your own risk.
Ihave it and use it. It works great.

I got mechanical on the parts and it has worked out fairly well (except
for the extra time spent.

I have the Sulphuric, I can probably find Nitric, water is easy, and I
know I have some salt around here somewhere. I assume non-iodized would
be slightly better(?).

My current need is past, but having the information for future use would
be great.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.