Old August 25th 04, 03:47 AM
Charlie

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in message
Cold is also a lot safer, and then you can store it just in something like

tupperware plastic container, and use it there too (so long as the silver

is cool
before you put it in the pickle)

Best idea yet - I'm going to go with this one since Tupperware is cheaper
than Pyrex and seals too!

the same chemical, but cheaper, and purer than the jewelry tools supply

versions,
sold at hardware stores or spa and swimming pool supply places, as

products named
things like "ph down" or "spa down", used for reducing the ph of the water

in
such things. Look for a product who's main ingredient is sodium

bisulphate.
Thats the main active ingredient in Sparex and the other professional

products,
but packaged for pool use, actually seems usually cheaper, and purer.

works the
same, with a bit less mess (Sparex brand tends to produce a yellowish scum

that
leaves an annoying ring on ones container...

I'll tell you what, I work in a swimming pool and asked supervisor if Icould
nab some of this stuff. He said it's not used in the UK or something as the
most effective way of controlling the PH is by keeping the Chlorine amount
correct. So there you go, a little insight into the world of leisure
centers. I'm going to order pickle crystal things anyway online, may as
well use the stuff that's marketed for this use!

Citric acid. Can be food grade or industrial.

Something similar, I've been using Lemon Juice. The cheap stuff in the naff
lemon shape containers. I bunged the piece I'm making in the juice
overnight and the next morning it was pretty clean! Expencive way of doing
it though.

Thanks for the info,

Charlie.

---