Old December 31st 10, 01:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Default OT ? ebooks, nooks, kindles et al

On 31/12/10 04:14, Polly Esther wrote:
I used to have a sign in my office that said, in part, "We have studied
the question and have come up with questions at a higher level."
Me too.
I imagine I would like to have one of those. But there are so many
questions to consider. Such as, if I have a book on mine and want to
share it with my sister, can I?
Will my 'book' communicate with our public library? How in the Sam Hill
do you return a copy when the time's up?
I see that some of them come with ear pod somethings. Why would I need
them to read a book?
Just a personal problem, I expect, but I borrowed one from a friend, a
much older model ( the book, not the friend). I thought it was dim, slow
and heavy.
Are some models easier on old eyes? Are some easier for old brains?
Do you have one and have a ' I wish I could' list? Do you tolerate it or
love it? Polly

Hi Polly,

DH & I both have Sony E-readers and love them. We travel a lot on
business and it is wonderful to be able to carry a huge selection of
books on one slim, device. It can also double as a MP3 player, but I
have never bothered with that, as it uses the battery up faster. Sony
have brought out a pocket sized version that is a bit smaller than the
ones we have. "Print" size can be varied and it will also happily
handle .pdf without any problems.

On an aside DH bought me Cryoburn, the latest book by Lois McMaster
Bujold, in hardback, for Christmas and it included a CD with all the
previous books in the series inside it. On further inspection the CD
had printed on it "This disk and its contents may be copied and shared,
but NOT sold." So now I have the whole series on my e-reader and I can
introduce others to her wonderful world. Well done Baen books!

Lizzy