Old January 18th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

Default How was this made?

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:14:55 +0000, Mick wrote:

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the background appears to be a
fine nanako (fish roe) pattern in concentric circles. Is it possible to
get detail that fine from a casting, or would that need to be added
after casting?

Given the new photographs, I think it would

Here are unsharp masked blowups of a couple of details from the new images.
The dragon tail and nose have the kinds of imperfections I would expect
to see in this kind of work.
http://www.mbstevens.com/test/dragontail.jpg

The worst imperfection on the other one is he
http://www.mbstevens.com/test/leaftip.jpg

The stamped pattern is more convincing in the blowups, but I still believe
the one with the bamboo shoots and leaves could be a casting worked
after casting with a stamp. The other guards you posted are more
convincing to me. Obviously no one can tell for sure without
photomicrographs, or having it in their hand with a magnifier.
Given the new photos, I certainly believe it is possible that it is the
real thing.