Old February 15th 05, 05:23 PM
Mike Firth

By "solo show", do you mean you have the opportunity to set up a display
of just your stuff in a retail space or someone who does retail sales is
giving you a chance and wants to know what your stuff sells for or a school
is giving a chance to show the stuff, etc.?
Go shopping. If nobody is selling stuff like you are doing anywhere near,
go to the internet. 3 or 4 times what Chinese stuff sells for, half what
the best local stuff sells for.
Time + materials + expenses verses retail and hope they don't overlap
(too much). Perception is correct, so bigger things cost more, flashier may
cost more in the same size. At least get your time back in money.
Now you are probably making these things a few at a time in a small kiln.
So the time firing and annealing is spread over a few pieces. If you get
serious about this you will probably get a bigger kiln and make more at the
same time, so the time will be more in the design and layout and less (per
piece) in the firing and annealing. Also for some pieces, the process will
become more automatic (as in I was making bowls from broken window glass for
a charity event; after working out the bugs, even in my small kiln, I could
layout 3 or 4 and run the cycle, walking away to other stuff, ignoring it
for 6 hours.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

"nimu" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi all
I'm a small time fused glass hobbyist..
I have made several pcs. multi coloured tiles, wall vases, floral
formers(i hope this is the right term for the slumped over stainless
steel form).
now, I'm planning to have a solo show. I'm at a loss as to the pricing
of these items. I have heard that the basic rate for std stained glass
is by sq foot, with a little extras depending on intricacy of the item.
Is there any such ready reckoner for me to start off my business?
thanks in advance
nirmala