Old September 23rd 03, 12:34 AM
Lon Stowell

Approximately 9/22/03 16:04, Dawn Stubitsch uttered for posterity:

I would think that polymer clay would leave a film that might be difficult
to remove. Other modeling clays have an oil base that again would leave a
film unless the water on the car would prevent this. The polymer clay might
slide over the soapy finish without leaving a film but it's not cheap either
though not as costly as your 4oz bar.. Maybe you ought to try small
quantites of different clays and do some tests. A tack cloth won't work?

Would think natural clay, as used in ceramics, etc. would
work nicely as a fine abrasive. Whether or not it is close
to the proper grain size for use as detailers clay have not
one clue. The other problem with this type of clay is that
it dries out both fast and unevenly. Would worry about small
dried hunks scratching the paint surface. This of course
presumes that the bulk clay being referred to is artisans
clay and not plasticene or similar... in other words good
old water softened pottery clay. For a car, I'd probably
use finely ground pottery clay in a heavier lubricant that
is water soluble, something about like glycerin in consistency.

I'd suggest the OP ask some friendly detailers about using
bulk clay, or making his own bulk clay. Then test it on
someone else's car first.