Old April 3rd 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default To Ott or not to Ott?

I looked around some more for this one.
http://www.quotemountain.com/sayings/southern_sayings/
I found some references to asian women and white men.
I don't see anything relating to other races. I have noticed
anything with any words relating to colors are often taken
up as racist even when that isn't the intention. The yellow
line in LA last year is a good example.
Taria

"Sunny" wrote in message
Polly, NM is right about the origins of that phrase. The implication
is that the infamous 'N' word is in play and that your actions would
be the opposite of the actions of those to whom that infamous word
would apply. I know, nobody ever explained that. Now I hear all kinds
of people using the phrase 'like white on rice' and wonder if they
don't understand the origins of that saying, which are very similar
and have little to nothing to do with the color of rice in general or
specific. Just sayin'.

As for Ott light bulbs ... I can't use them, but love the Reveal
lights for their good, soft white light.

Sunny
My southern roots run deeper than kudzu