Old August 14th 03, 04:46 PM
laura

I had some crackle beads that had a coating for the color, which I was able
to peel off. They were inexpensive beads from China. I also have some
faceted Czech beads in an amethyst color that are just wonderful, and the
color is fine.

I think if you avoid glass from China and India entirely you will have a
better chance of getting quality beads. I don't shop at Michaels; I do have
a craft/art supply store near here (Pearl art supplies) which stocks some
crap, but also some things that aren't crap. You just have to be careful
about what you buy. I've been learning as I go along. Price in this case
is usually a good indicator of real value.

Laura

"angela" wrote in message
I am having terrible luck with purple beads and I'm sure someone here can
tell me why. I bought purple crackle beads at Michael's and the coating
peeled off. Okay, I got them from Michael's so I wasn't exactly shocked.
Then I got two different sizes of purple seed beads from Beadazzled and it
looks more like they faded, but they may have actually peeled too. Then I
got some from Joanne's -- I don't know what they're called but they're the
kind where the color is in the middle (if that makes any sense). I sort of
expected the color to fall apart on me and it did. All of the beads were
used on bracelets and deteriorated after heavy wear (my four-year-old son
wears his bracelet 24 hours a day). Is there such a thing as a purple bead
that keeps its color?

ang.
angelfish handcrafted baubles
http://thehalsteds.com/angelfish