Old October 3rd 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
[email protected]

Default Bummed out about baking/ovens

nanner wrote:

It was a flimsy cheapo model (just my price range) I read about using tiles
and you do get more specific which is good BUT what do I do with them? Put
them in the bottom of the oven between the 2 heater rods?

Best bet is just above the heater elements. Leave room around the edges
for convection. Maybe the first shelf, if it can be placed very low?
Sad to say, this might take too much space if the oven is very short.

One option is to make stands or pegs from conventional clay
(remembering that they'll shink about 10-20% in drying). You want the
tiles just above the heating elements, but not touching (it's ok
electrically to have them touch, but the elements expand and contract,
and the clay tiles expand and contract, so you'll literally wear out
the elements eventually).

Low fire clays will get solid enough if you "fire" them at your next
barbecue, or place them below the andirons in your next fire and be
sure glowing coals surround them. Be sure they're dry (if they're not,
you're going to get hot clay flying around when the steam forces them
apart) and use your needle tool to poke holes in them -- or use a raku
clay body mix, which is designed for rapid firing.

If you don't have a ceramic supply house locally, you might be able to
beg some clay from your local high school or community college.

How long do you think they need to heat up first?

Depends on thickness - a good 1/2 inch-thick Mexican tile probably
would take 25 minutes or so.