Old November 6th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Default Dear Red States

"flitterbit" wrote in message
lucretia borgia wrote:
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 12:18:42 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
opined:

I would be more impressed with the great "blue" state of California
if its rich, healthy, educated, well-employed, tax-paying tolerant
tanned and happy people had not brought an end to the right of gay
and lesbian couples (presumably also mainly rich, healthy,
educated, well-employed tax payers) to civil marriage.

Dawne

Yes, I was shocked to hear that. I thought California was supposed
to be ahead of everyone.

I was shocked as well as sorely disappointed. It would appear the "no"
campaign didn't do as good a job as they could have of dispelling
misconceptions, or of instilling the idea that the whole point of
permitting gays to marry was to extend equal rights to everyone, not just
heterosexuals, or of just plain emphasizing that gays are no different
than anyone else, they hold jobs, they vote, they buy homes, they raise
families, etc.

BTW, my understanding is that the "yes" voting was concentrated in rural
areas as well as in the religious and ethnic segments of California's
population.

They tightened the rules in Florida so that the constitution actually will
state that a marriage is between a man and a woman.

So sad.

Lucille