Old August 15th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Default gluing organics to metal

mbstevens wrote:
On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:40:42 +0000, Snaggeltooth wrote:

What is the best glue to use to join an organic material like pearls to a
sterling silver post?

Epoxies usually require mixing which is something I really don't want to do
unless there is not an alternative adhesive.

Any brand name adhesives you like better than others for the same
application?

The quick drying epoxies usually do not form as strong a bond, and I
would stay away from them. The strongest epoxy I've found is JB Weld.
Both surfaces to be joined need to have a bit of tooth and must be very
clean.

BTW, don't do it with anything valuable -- use a mechanical
mount that can be removed.

I disagree. Pearl cements and epoxies are fine, and CAN easily be removed with
"Attack" for instance.

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...3&cat=0&page=1

And what exactly do you mean with "mechanical mount"? How would you mount a
pearl "mechanically" to a sterling silver post? Would you elaborate a bit
please.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com