Old April 16th 04, 04:36 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Suzanne wrote:

A few people on here have spoken about gridding projects before, but I
was hoping someone could tell me more about it. Do you always grid your
projects? How do you decide whether you should or not? Does it matter
what the stitch count is or fabric type? Just how do you go about it?
I've been looking online but haven't found many places that talk about it.

I only grid on projects where I think I'm at significant
risk of miscounting. I suppose "significant risk" would vary
from person to person ;-) I take into account the size, the
design, the similarity of colors, and other things like that
when deciding. Fabric type or stitch count don't matter much
to me, though I suppose if I used Aida I'd be less likely to
grid on that because it's somewhat easier to count (less
opportunity to miscount than stitching over two).
As far as how I do it, I take sewing thread and
stitch over two stiches, under two at ten stitch intervals (so
twenty threads), making the gridding threads line up
with the lines marked on the pattern. (I like it best
when there are gridlines at the center, but many charts
don't do it that way and I need the gridlines on my fabric
to match the gridlines on my chart or it makes my brain
hurt.) I usually remove the gridlines as I stitch near
them.

Hope this helps,
Ericka