Old April 16th 04, 04:29 AM
Dr. Brat

Suzanne wrote:
A few people on here have spoken about gridding projects before, but I
was hoping someone could tell me more about it. Do you always grid your
projects? How do you decide whether you should or not? Does it matter
what the stitch count is or fabric type? Just how do you go about it?
I've been looking online but haven't found many places that talk about it.

I start stitching in the upper left hand corner and work my way down.
If a project is such that I can work it to the bottom, always starting
stitches where other stitches have ended, I don't grid it. If I'm going
to have to jump wide areas of open cloth to stitch the project, then I
do grid it. For example, I am working on Theresa Wentzler's Summer
Fairy. The fairy head is out in an area of blank cloth away from the
border. That's where gridding helps me be sure I've got the count
right. Sometimes, I'll turn a project upside down and work it from the
bottom to avoid gridding, depends on my mood and on the feasibility of
such a move. Essentially, I'll go to the effort of gridding any time a
design makes me count more than 15 stitches of open space on a
consistent basis. I can't do that easily and so it's worth it to grid.

Elizabeth