Old September 15th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vibrant Jewels

Default Changing tastes - natural gems vs. dyed

proteinaceous gorgonin
Doesn't that sound like a great name for a bead? LOLOLOLOL
Or how about this? Paragorgia arborea

--
Karleen Page
Member International Jewelry Designers Guild (IJDG)
"m3rma1d" wrote in message
Patti wrote:

I also like the stuff
which gem dealers are passing off as "bamboo coral", which is really
dyed bamboo since there is no such thing as "bamboo coral."

Wrong, there actually is such a thing as bamboo coral...
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...l14/jul14.html

It should be known that beads made from coral are actually made from
already dead coral--it's all part of the reef-cycle--corals die off at the
base and new growth starts shooting off from parts of them (that's the
short simple quick explanation, anyhoo)

Sorry, I'm a bit of a reef-freak (as in, I not only like coral beads, but
I also keep live corals in a big tank right here in my living room!--Of
course they are non-bead-related, tho... Just sayin'!)

:-)

-- m3rma1d
--
www.creativespill.com
To reply in email, carefully remove my panties.