Old December 31st 04, 08:30 PM
Karen Maslowski

But as of January 1st, all quotas for importing clothing into the US
will be gone. These quotas at least held the imports down to some
degree; without them, the floodgates will open. I wonder at the
rationale (if any) of this measure. It sure seems to be the wrong way to
go, if one is truly interested in keeping businesses in the US from
going offshore.

Shaking head,
Karen Maslowski in Ohio

wrote:

You're just noticing this? It's been happening since the 1940s. So
long as people in other countries are willing to work for 50 cents a
day, textile industry jobs will be shipped to other countries. The
only solution I see is to put tariffs on imports to this country, to
make them comparable in price to U.S. made things.