Old August 9th 03, 01:42 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

Look at the hem that is already on them. Make the new hem the same depth,
as it is probably best for whatever weight fabric makes up the curtains.
Look whether the sides or the hem is folded first. Without seeing the
curtains, it is hard to say exactly, but probably a two inch hem, folded up
twice, and blindstitched into place would be best. Cut the curtains four
inches longer than you want them to be when finished. All that fabric in
the hem helps the curtain hang nicely. Find thread that matches EXACTLY.
Being a "new sewer" I would also suggest that you do the hem by
hand---invisibly just like a skirt hem. This is much easier if you can use
the blind-hem stitch on the sewing machine, but just one window done by hand
won't be very hard.
Good luck on your project!

"aces1" wrote in message
I bought already made curtains. I want to shorten them. Any quick
suggestions so that it doesn't look tacky when I finish.
They are tab curtains. They fit the dinning room and the kitchen window is
just 3 feet away but a smaller window length.

Thanks, Chris in MI