Old February 27th 04, 03:15 PM
roo

It is what Clifford Ashley would call a SINGLE BOWLINE on the bight,
as can be seen in the Ashley Book of Knots, knot #1057 and a similar
form in knot #1058. No, it's not really a variation on the bowline,
but there you go.

It's not usually employed as an end loop, but it is more secure than a
bowline, but that's not saying all that much. If you are looking for
even more secure end loops, I'll mention a couple for your
consideration if you haven't already seen them:

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/zeppelinloop.html
http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/waterbowline.html

Cheers,
roo

"Icarus" wrote in message ...
Hi folks

I recently learned to do a bowline and decided that it didn't seem
very secure, so I 'improved' on it (in my humble opinion, anyway!).
The result is in an admittedly rather primitive illustration at:

http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/jr/knots/myknot.gif

Does anyone know if this knot already has a name? As it seems pretty
simple, I would expect so.

Thanks :-)

John.