Old February 27th 04, 02:50 PM
Brian Grimley

"Icarus" wrote:
Hi folks

I recently learned to do a bowline and decided that it didn't seem
very secure, so I 'improved' on it (in my humble opinion, anyway!).
The result is in an admittedly rather primitive illustration at:

http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/jr/knots/myknot.gif

Does anyone know if this knot already has a name? As it seems pretty
simple, I would expect so.

Hi John,

This knot appears in "The Ashley Book of Knots" numbered 1058. He
calls it the "Single Bowline on the Bight". He says, "This knot, in
appearance at least, appears to have a better claim to the title than
the others."

As a general observation, the name of a particular knot can often
raise some strong emotions and intense debate. However, the name of a
knot can obviously change with language, can change with who is using
it (e.g. fishermen or sailors)and can change with geography. I mean
(would you believe it!) there are parts of the world where a Reef Knot
is called a Square Knot. WELL!! :-). For your knot, between knotters,
I think ABOK #1058 is a good, unambiguous name.

Congrats for independently discovering this knot. - Brian.

Ps. Since my above attempt at humour may be an "in-joke", let me say
that the Reef Knot, ABOK #1204, is often called the Square Knot in the
USA. Hmmm... perhaps, it would be more correct to say, ABOK #1204 is
called the Reef Knot or the Square Knot. The name choosen is
influenced by where you live. :-).

All the best - Brian.