Old April 20th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Rob Morley

Default Crackle glaze as wall paint

In article 3e2d5a51-fb84-44ea-a28d-2c05b1cd2867
@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com, Jeremy Kareken
says...
On Apr 18, 12:26 pm, Rob Morley wrote:
In article 448c632e-de75-4655-b5a1-de887cdb9d3a@
8g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
says... Hello,

I know this isn't a pottery issue but I thought someone here might
know how/if crackle glaze -- in its application as a way to paint
walls -- can be painted over with regular latex house paint. I don't
want the latter to crack, i.e., I'd like the walls henceforth to just
look like normal flat painted walls.

I'm thinking this won't be possible, that to get what I want I'll have
to sand all the crackle glaze off, which is not my dream come true.

Internal or external walls?

Internal.

Here in the UK you can get stuff called Polycell SmoothOver, which is a
fine sticky sandable filler intended for use on cracked or uneven wall
surfaces. It covers up to 2mm and is designed to be easy for DIY
application (according to various reports on the web it's something
between brilliant and absolute rubbish, so I suspect that while good
it's not altogether idiot-proof). I expect there's something similar
available where you are. Depending on your skill and the area/depth to
be covered it might be more economical to get a plasterer in to skim the
walls for you - you'll be paying for his time but the materials cost may
be considerably less.